About Congregation Beth Shalom
Congregation Beth Shalom is proud to be a welcoming and inclusive community.
- Our clergy will perform a wedding for a Jewish same-sex couple.
- Our clergy will perform a commitment ceremony for a Jewish same-sex couple.
- Weddings/commitment ceremonies for same-sex couples are performed in our synagogue.
- Joyous occasions of same-sex couples/families are celebrated openly and inclusively (i.e. baby naming, aufruf, aliyot for both members of a couple).
- Our clergy are available for Halakhic queries on LGBTQ issues.
- Our clergy are available for lifecycle events for LGBTQ individuals and families (such as a baby naming).
- Our clergy are willing to participate in advocacy for LGBTQ rights (e.g. marriage equality).
- Our publications, outreach materials, website, and/or physical space include images of and information about LGBTQ issues or people.
- We have staff, leaders, or board members who are out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer.
- We have students/members who are out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer.
- We offer LGBTQ specific programming, events, or services (movie night, a Pride Seder, a support group).
- We participate in advocacy for LGBTQ rights (e.g. marriage equality).
- We use LGBTQ-inclusive language on our membership or application materials such as “Parent 1/Parent 2” rather than “Mother/Father.”
- LGBTQ issues are incorporated into our educational programming/curricula.
- Our anti-bullying training and/or materials address anti-LGBTQ bullying and harassment.
- We have parents who are out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer.