Put yourself at the intersection of LGBTQ rights, Jewish identity and the broader movement for social justice in American society. Keshet seeks a dynamic and experienced leader to join a phenomenal team. The Chief Program Officer leads Keshet’s programmatic efforts, working toward a world in which all LGBTQ Jews and our families can live with full equality, justice, and dignity.
The role of the Chief Program Officer is to guide and oversee all of Keshet’s programmatic work, including ensuring excellence of program content and delivery, supporting staff, managing impact evaluation, and setting the course for programmatic growth and sustainable impact. Keshet works in the following areas:
- Institutional Change: Partner with leaders of national and local Jewish organizations including synagogues, day schools, JCCs, youth movements, and summer camps, offering consultations and trainings that give communal leaders the tools, skills, and confidence to put LGBTQ equality into practice.
- Teens: Create opportunities for LGBTQ Jewish teens across the country to come together, develop proud, LGBTQ Jewish identities, and build leadership skills to advance change in their home communities.
- Advocacy: Mobilize the Jewish community to fight for LGBTQ justice and take action collectively to advance real breakthroughs—from securing marriage equality to protecting transgender rights.
- Resources: Serve as an open resource of best practices and educational materials on the intersection of Judaism and LGBTQ equality for anyone seeking to expand their knowledge or apply those resources to their own community.
The Chief Program Officer reports to the CEO and oversees a team of nine full-time staff and one part-time staff. We prefer to bring on a CPO who will be based out of Keshet’s national office in Boston, but we will consider excellent candidates located in other parts of the country.
Keshet works for the full equality of all LGBTQ Jews and our families in Jewish life. We turn values at the heart of Judaism—equality, inclusion, and human dignity—into action in Jewish communities because when we stand by and allow LGBTQ Jews to be excluded, we hold all of Jewish life back from reaching its full potential. We equip Jewish organizations with the tools to build LGBTQ-affirming communities, create spaces for queer Jewish teens to feel valued as queer and Jewish, and mobilize the Jewish community to fight for LGBTQ justice nationwide.
As an organization that teaches the importance of proactive LGBTQ inclusive messages and actions, Keshet recognizes the similar need to make our commitment to racial equity and justice clear and explicit. We work to embed a racial equity and justice lens into Keshet’s leadership and staff structure, political analysis, organizational policies, communications, and program content.
Keshet’s national office is in Boston with offices in San Francisco and New York as well.
- Oversee Keshet’s major program areas—Institutional Change, Teen and Youth Movement Organizing, and Advocacy—including long term planning, goal-setting, evaluation, and creation of educational and training resources.
- Identify, develop, and maintain strategic partnerships with major national Jewish and LGBTQ organizations.
- Direct ongoing program evaluation, tracking for both quantitative deliverables and qualitative impact.
- Lead a Program Team that fosters learning and collaboration among staff in multiple locations across the country.
- Partner with the Chief Financial Officer to foster a values-driven organizational culture of continuous learning, high performance, mutual respect, and high morale.
- Work closely with the Chief Development and Communications Officer, the Director of Data and CRM, and other senior staff to ensure cross-departmental alignment.
- Serve as staff liaison to two Keshet Board committees: the Program and Evaluation Committee and the Racial Justice and Equity Team.
- Serve on the staff Executive Team and help set strategic direction, establish policy, navigate challenges, and identify opportunities for growth.
- Oversee a team of ten, with four direct reports.
- Impassioned commitment to Keshet’s vision and mission of advancing LGBTQ equality in Jewish life.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and ability to articulate organizational mission and impact to a wide range of audiences.
- At least seven years of experience as a non-profit professional in a related field with at least four years of management experience.
- Strong and politically savvy relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus, and manage partnerships among diverse stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of LGBTQ identities and experiences and the ability to articulate the intersections among diverse Jewish and LGBTQ identities.
- Significant knowledge of Jewish tradition, identity, and experience is preferred. Ease working across a wide range of Jewish communities is essential.
- Ability to apply a racial justice and equity lens to programs as well as staff culture.
- Experience with program assessment and impact evaluation.
- Capacity to navigate a fast-paced, high energy, and creative environment effectively and efficiently.
- Proven track record of managing teams with an open, inclusive leadership style that encourages cohesion, accountability, and high performance.
- Willing and able to periodically travel.
Salary range is $90,000-$110,000/year, commensurate with experience.
Keshet offers a competitive benefits package, and a fast paced, purpose-driven, and fun work environment.
Please send resume and a thoughtful cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Chief Program Officer” in subject line.
Keshet values diversity, including racial and ethnic diversity. In your cover letter, please share with us any aspects of your identity and experience that you feel help prepare you to work effectively in Jewish communities that are diverse in race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, class, disability, and more. We encourage trans, non-binary, and people of color to apply.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right candidate for the position.
Keshet Equal Employment Opportunity:
Keshet provides equal opportunity to all people regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other proscribed category set forth in federal or state regulations. This policy applies to all employees and candidates for employment.