Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Development and Communications personnel
Keshet is the only organization in the U.S. that works for LGBT inclusion in all facets of Jewish life – synagogues, Hebrew schools, day schools, youth groups, summer camps, social service organizations, and other communal agencies. Through training, community organizing, and resource development, we partner with clergy, educators, and volunteers to equip them with the tools and knowledge they need to be effective agents of change.
In just a little over 10 years, we have grown from a one-person operation to a national organization with nearly 20 staff and two satellite offices in Denver and San Francisco. Keshet has a $1.8 million annual budget, with significant revenue from both foundations and individual donors, and is hiring its first, full time Director of Development. Come join this energetic and fast growing organization out of our national headquarters in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston.
Working in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will drive and oversee all aspects of Keshet’s development, fundraising, and marketing efforts. This position includes, but is not limited to, individual giving efforts, foundation funding, fundraising events and corporate sponsorships. Keshet has a solid base of donors, a seasoned Director of Finance and Administration, a strong Board and a visionary founding Executive Director with strong fundraising instincts. We seek someone with the fundraising expertise and leadership skills to build the organization’s fundraising capacity and expand its donor base. This is an incredible opportunity for the right individual to grow an organization with significant momentum and fundraising potential. Come join our team and build our capacity to achieve our ambitious goals.
- Build Keshet’s Development team, defining roles and responsibilities, hiring department support staff, and setting departmental goals consistent with Keshet’s budget.
- Formalize and manage our major donor program. Build personal relationships with donors and supporters, provide support and guidance to Executive Director, and coach and train Board members to grow their involvement.
- Build a culture of philanthropy among Keshet’s leadership, staff and board.
- Plan and implement fundraising campaigns, events (including our already wildly popular annual Keshet Cabaret), direct mail and electronic appeals, house parties, and other initiatives to reach expected financial goals.
- Manage the grants process, including research, proposals, funder stewardship, and reporting.
- Work with Director of Communications to develop consistent fundraising messages across all of Keshet’s communications.
- Ensure the capture and integrity of all donor information and processes, including the accuracy of records and the timely acknowledgment of all gifts.
- Represent Keshet at speaking engagements, house parties, and individual donor meetings.
- Work and meet with Board of Directors and Development Committee.
- Keep us growing! Determine readiness and potentially implement a Planned Giving Program, an Endowment Plan, and other initiatives.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising management with a proven record of accomplishment meeting revenue targets.
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Keshet.
- Proven manager with a willingness to lead and talent and joy for mentoring staff.
- Ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to prospective and current donors and funders.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive and fun outlook, and strong interpersonal skills and experience in establishing and cultivating strong relationships with colleagues, partners, donors, and trustees.
- Excellent working knowledge of Salesforce or similar donor management software.
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, and to work independently and as a team-player.
- Knowledge of and experience with social media fundraising.
- Knowledge of and experience in the organized Jewish community a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is a plus
- Salary range is $80,000 – $100,000 and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits package includes: flex time, employee health insurance; 3 weeks paid vacation in year one and four weeks subsequently, 12 sick days and two personal days per year, all Jewish and legal holidays observed at Keshet.
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keshet Equal Employment Opportunity:
Keshet does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual’s race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other proscribed category set forth in federal or state regulations.